Visiting scientists and foreign collaborators
- Nico Eisenhauer, Munich Technical University, Munich, Germany. Ongoing collaborator on earthworm invasion in forests.
- Kalev Jogiste, Director, Forest Research Institute, Estonian Agricultural University, Fulbright Scholar, September 2010-June 2011. Continuing research collaborator on disturbance and herbivores in temperate and boreal forests.
- Jacek Oleksyn, Director, Polish Academy of Sciences, Institute of Dendrology, Kornik, Poland. Ongoing collaborator on a variety of forest ecology topics.
- Jiri Schlaghamersky, Assistant Professor, Masaryk University, Czech Republic. Fulbright Scholar, September 2010-August 2011. Continuing collaborator on Enchytraieds and soil biology.
- Anoszko, Eli, Ph.D., NRSM, 2010 to date. Topic Boreal forest regeneration after large-scale wind and fire.
- Chaffin, David, Ph.D., 2001 to date. Topic: Boreal forest resilience and climate change.
- Hawksinson, Annie, 2016 to date, Plant and bird community response to season of fire in lowland brush.
- Nigul, Kristi, Ph.D., 2011 to date. Estonian University of Life Sciences, Tartu. Topic: Human and natural disturbances in forests.
- Sames, Karl, M.S., NRSM, 2011 to date. Topic: Native plant community response to windstorms, earthworms and deer.
- Serres, Terry, M.S., NRSM, 2006 to date. Topic: Pine regeneration after compounded wind and fire disturbance in the BWCAW.
- Toot, Ryan. M.S., 2016 to date, NRSM, Bur oak ecotypes and plant communities.
Former graduate students
- Augustine, David, M.S. University of MN 1997, Ph.D. Syracuse University, 2002. Landscape Ecologist, USDA Crops Research Lab, Fort Collins Colorado.
- Bapikee, Chaina, Ph.D., NRSM, 2013. Thesis: Sugar maple (Acer saccharum) forest community dynamics across an environmental gradient from the prairie-forest border to interior forest biome. Currently data analyst with Apple Computer, Cupertino, CA.
- Benedict, Michael, M.S. 2001. Forester, Bureau of Indian Affairs, Rocky Mountains Regional Office, Denver, CO.
- Burton, Julia, M.S. 2004. Ph.D. 2011, Research Assistant Professor, Utah State University, Logan, UT.
- Cornett, Meredith, Ph.D. 2000. Director of Conservation Science for Minnesota and the Dakota’s, The Nature Conservancy, Duluth MN.
- Danz, Nick, Ph.D. 2009. Associate Professor, Department of Natural Sciences, University of Wisconsin-Superior.
- Dieser, Peter, M.S., 2011, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.
- Dovciak, Martin, Ph.D. 2001. Associate Professor, Department of Environmental Science and Forestry, SUNY Syracuse.
- Fisichelli, Nicholas, Ph.D. 2012. Forest Ecology Director, Schoodic Institute at Acadia National Park, Maine.
- Hale, Cindy, Ph.D. 2003. Organic farmer, Duluth, MN.
- Holdsworth, Andy, Ph.D. 2006. Science Policy Analyst, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, St.Paul, MN.
- Ojanen, Paul, M.S., NRSM, 2007 to date. Topic: Exotic earthworm survey of Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest, Wisconsin.
- Peck, Jeri, Ph.D. 2007. Research Scientist, School of Forest Resources, The Pennsylvania State University, State College, PA.
- Rich, Roy, Ph.D. 2006. Research Staff, Smithsonian Envirinmental Research Institute, MD.
- Roth, Alex, Ph.D., NRSM, 2015. Restoration Ecologist, Friends of Mississippi River, Minneapolis, MN.
- Salk, Ted, Ph.D., NRSM, 2013. Thesis: Poor recruitment is changing the structure and species composition of an old-growth hemlock-hardwood forest.
- Smita Mehta. M.S. 2003.
- Weyenberg, Scott, M.S. 2001. National Park Service, Fire Ecologist for Voyageurs NP and other National Park Service units in the Upper Great Lakes Region. St.Croix National Scenic Riverway, WI.